Monday, May 29, 2006

 

[Internet Marketing Solutions] You're great: now tell the world



“James” called me right after he returned from a three-day weekend seminar that cost him three thousand dollars, plus transportation and lodging.

“Terrific!” I said. “I’m impressed. You invested in yourself.”

“Well,” he said, “I had to max out my Visa to pay for the seminar and the air fare – don’t ask. Based on what I learned, I need a whole new website. Do you know any web designers who might be willing to barter with me?”

Stop! What 3 pieces of information does James need?

(1) Always present yourself as a product that can be counted on to deliver top quality service.

Whether writing or speaking about yourself, go for the gold. James didn’t have to share his source of funds – and he shouldn’t. Inevitably, someone will say, “If he’s so successful, why did he need a big loan?” He may have good reasons but we’re already in the realm of Too Much Information.

A life coach once wrote in her ezine, “I’m going to a conference and yes, it’s a big expense. But it’s important.”

Frankly, the expense didn’t seem so great to most of her readers. You could just feel her credibility evaporating into the ozone.

(2) Investments rarely end with a one-time payment.

When I first bought a house, I was warned, “Save money after the closing costs! You’ll need small repairs, security services and more.”

This sage advice applies to business investments too.

Just as a bigger house comes with larger insurance and maintenance bills, a live conference or a great consultant can lead to life-changing suggestions – new website, wardrobe, logo and more.

If you can’t afford the follow-up, skip the big-time consultations. Work on the smaller chunks, like (you knew this was coming!) the copy.

(3) Avoid barter and discounts.

“James” works as a financial consultant to medium-sized and large companies. I doubt he has much to offer web designers, who typically work as solo-preneurs on shoestring budgets.

Barter and discounts inevitably lead to hurt feelings, bitter breakups and poor quality work. I no longer offer these options to my own clients and I don’t ask for discounts for myself, even from friends.

Generally you get what you pay for. Bargain basement services, such as eLance, can be surprisingly good. But you have to know what to ask for and how to evaluate your finished product. And getting that knowledge means signing up for classes in copywriting (which is why I support the Boot Camp), marketing and a whole lot more).


Ready to turn your lazy, good-for-nothing website into a powerhouse profit center that works 24/7?
Click here.
Download your valuable 10-page fr*e Report: 7 Best-Kept Secrets of Client Attracting Websites.
Sign up here.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?