Tuesday, June 13, 2006

 

[Copywriting Tips] Add beef to your benefits



When I first heard about the benefits vs. features distinction, I was frustrated. At the time I just had my career consulting website. What, I asked, are the benefits I can offer? I couldn’t promise anyone would get a job, let alone a dream job.

I asked an experienced marketer for help. She shrugged off the question: “More, better, faster, cheaper,”

I escaped, vowing I’d never utter the words “sales letter” ever again.

But later, after taking copywriting classes and after clients write their own copy, I realized benefits should be credible, realistic and beefy.

(1) Focus on the reader’s real pain.

Lance wants to teach coaching techniques to dog trainers so they can work with their clients more effectively. What’s the benefit? Well, the whole world benefits when dogs behave nicely in public.

But each trainer wants to attract and retain clients. So Lance needs to set up a sales page that emphasizes sales and profits.

(2) Present benefits that are unique to you and your target market.

“Helps attract clients” will seem too general and frankly a bit sales-y. Ironically, as you focus on specifics, you’ll come across as communicating rather than selling.

So one of Lance’s benefits might be, “Attract dog-loving clients who are motivated to create the best dog companions in the world.”

Okay, it’s a first effort. To get good benefits, you need to write out at least twenty-five.

(3) Add some emotion.

For beefy benefits, imagine your favorite target reader reacting to the benefit. Will she feel relieved? joyful? purposeful?

Or will he say, “I had a good night’s sleep for the first time in months.”

Lance’s clients can feel all sorts of emotion as they discover they can develop stronger bonds with their dogs. And they’re relieved: no more coming home to a chewed-up living room.

Finally, certain buyers make choices based on features, not benefits. Famous copywriter Bob Bly has observed that engineers and other techie types already know the benefits. They want to know, “What’s different about this model?”

For other markets, what works is confronting skepticism head on. Lance might try, “Don’t Train Your Dog With Treats” or even “Why Dog Treats Won’t Train Your Dog,” if he really believes they don’t and has evidence to support his claim. (Don’t ask me: I’m just creating an example here.)

And when hiring a consultant or coach, buyers often are extremely interested in expertise and background of the potential resource. I’ve been hired as a consultant because a specific buyer liked the title of a single article I wrote.

But when writing a sales letter or home page, most businesses need to spell out the benefits. Keep them beefy and readers will dig in for a feast.

P.S. As noted, I had no idea who to ask for help. As I became familiar with Internet gurus and guidance, I realized that choosing a guide was often more scary than facing the jungle. So I wrote a Special Report, How to Choose an Internet Marketing Mentor, designed to save readers hundreds and even thousands of dollars as they made their choices.
Click here and start making wise choices today.



Ready to turn your lazy, good-for-nothing website into a powerhouse profit center that works 24/7?
You've come to the right place.
Download your valuable 10-page fr*e Report: 7 Best-Kept Secrets of Client Attracting Websites.
and enjoy weekly tips to energize your website marketing.
Click here.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?