Sunday, June 25, 2006

 

[Web Site Maketing] From Browsers to Buyers: Lessons from a Bakery



When I write copy for websites, clients often ask, "What about optimizing for search engines?"

Search Engine Optimization (or SEO) can be critical because we need a certain critical mass of traffic to be successful. But first I recommend investing in copy and strategy to convert browsers to buyers.

(1)  Appeal to the senses.

As I walk my dog Gracie, we often have to pass a small neighborhood bakery. We inhale aromas of freshly-baked buttery treats, made the old-fashioned way.

Attractive web design can hook visitors, but headlines and bullet points create  mouth-watering offers. That's why copywriters say, "Reach for emotion."

(2)  Offer a sample.

I successfully resisted temptation for many months. And I rarely carry a wallet while dog-walking.

Then one day I ran into a friend on a muffin mission.

"I will treat you," she offered.

Not wanting to be rude, I took home one half of a small pastry...which turned out to be far more delicious than I anticipated.

The website equivalent: a mouth-watering sample - a Report or audio product with a promise that will hit your readers' hot buttons: tips, secrets, how-tos.

If you've identified the right target and you deliver on your promise, readers will be surprised by value. They'll also tell their friends.

(3) Follow up.

As I walk past the bakery, I am reminded, "Next time I need a quick thank you gift, I can come here. It's right around the corner."

Prospective clients need to run into your website when they least expect it. They won't walk by so you have to stand in front of them.

For example, you can send subscribers a single thank you or a series of autoresponders, each asking a question or offering value.

My autoresponders are integrated through my shopping cart http://tinyurl.com/4a2oh

(4)  Look for signs of success.

Alas, I've become a customer of the bakery. That was easy.

And ideally, you'll see orders, unsolicited testimonials, and requests for service.  Recently, one Copy-Cat Ezine reader wrote, "I've created a special folder to save your ezines."

Soon you get a sense of what works. For example, I'm amazed at how many buyers and subscribers come from my online book reviews. See http://snipurl.com/reviewclass

(5) Make it easy.

My neighborhood bakery welcomes well-behaved dogs and even offers biscuits. So when I'm out with my dog Gracie, I can make an impulse purchase.

I've been to many websites where I can't find a form to order an ezine, let alone an order form. And I usually give up when I'm asked to complete credit card forms for a zero-balance product.

After all, this contact may be the first step on the path to a long and mutually profitable relationship.


Ready to turn your lazy, good-for-nothing website into a powerhouse profit center that works 24/7?
You've come to the right place.
Download your valuable 10-page fr*e Report: 7 Best-Kept Secrets of Client Attracting Websites.
and enjoy weekly tips to energize your website marketing.
Click here.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?