Tuesday, July 18, 2006

 

[Web Site Marketing Tips] Thinking Positive About Web Site Marketing


This week’s topic surprised even me. Somehow I’m the last person you’d expect to be sharing a message of “Think positive!” Most readers consider my style somewhat edgy at best. I’ll never have to worry about coming across as too pollyanna-ish.

But when writing copy, I’ve learned to develop an upbeat style to motivate my readers.

And with a background in customer service, I’m especially frustrated by copy that insults the reader – someone we’re trying to convert from prospect to client!

Example 1: Writing for his ezine, a self-styled marketing expert compared troublesome clients to a serious fatal disease, which he named. Get rid of the disease and restore the health of your business, he advised.

He acknowledged that he could be criticized for bad taste. Well...hel-lo!

I prefer to follow the approach of Michael Port, who encourages us to create a Red Velvet Rope policy. Like nightclub bouncers, we only allow the Right People to enter our client rosters. Learn more about Michael’s products and services:
http://www.cartville.com/app/?af=305165

Example 2: Writing in her ezine, a well-known consultant shared her frustration with audiences who moan about advertisements on her complimentary calls. As she moved from presentation to conversation mode, she heard some loud groans along with, “Do we have to listen to this?”

Hopefully we all realize these teleseminar calls always come with a brief promotion. Otherwise why would anyone offer them? My own audiences have been gracious and friendly, so I never hear so much as a whimper of complaint.

But this consultant treated her ezine readers to a rant: “Would you rather see me on the street begging?”

Gimme a break.

I would just share my announcements, ignore any complaints...and maybe keep the call in organizer mode a few minutes longer.

Chances are the moaners are also alienating their fellow audience members. And while they’re loud, I bet only 1 or 2 are doing all the talking. The rest loved the class and want to hear more.

Example 3: One copywriter’s home page sneers, “You think you can write your own copy? No way.” And a web designer’s email advertisement warned, “If you are like so many other coaches you need every last cent to build your business and keep food on the table!”

Okay, we want to target a client’s pain. But we can still honor our clients.

“Sure, you can write your own copy,” I would say, “But are you ready to invest countless hours and thousands of dollars to learn from the pros? And is copywriting the best use of your time?”

And if you’re worried about putting food on the table, you probably need to grab a job or find a business that attracts clients faster than catnip attracts cats and peanut butter attracts dogs.

When we catch ourselves grinding our own axes, it’s time to review the basics. Why did we want to do this in the first place? Do we need an energy boost?

Not that I’m biased, but I’d say the situation calls for a consultation with your favorite copywriting coach or consultant. If that’s me, visit
http://www.copy-cat-copywriting.com/copy-diagnostic.html

and we’ll find a way to be warm-and-fuzzy with style.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?