Sunday, August 13, 2006

 

Finding Your Best (and only your best) Clients




Several months ago, I told someone at a networking event, “I need a photographer for some good head shots.”

A few days later I got a call. “Hi. I’m Daphne and I’m a photographer. My studio is in Smallville.”

“Frankly, that’s a little far,” I said. “I’m not even sure where it is.”

“Only about 35 minutes. And I get to your neighborhood every so often. I can give you a ride.”

“Let me think about it.”

Okay, I’m like everybody else. I use code words for “No thanks -- probably never.”

“Don’t think too much,” Daphne countered. “I’m busy and I’m already scheduled a month ahead. And oh yes, I’d probably have to charge something extra for driving you.”

After I hung up, I was puzzled. If Daphne’s so busy, why would she offer to come and get me?

But of course I know the answer. It is very, very hard to turn down business, even if you’re wildly successful.

I was the wrong client for Daphne. “Thirty-five minutes” usually means closer to forty-five. I bet there would be stops for gas and groceries along the way. And in Seattle, you have to expect traffic delays, fender-bender close calls and a visible police presence.

Once we arrive, she’d say, “For a good photo, you need to be calm and peaceful.”

Right.

We all know we need to say “no” to clients. Michael Port talks about creating a “red velvet rope” policy, where (just like the big-name night clubs) you admit those who “belong.” To learn more, read
Book Yourself Solid .

In my experience, you can’t set a policy till you’ve been in business awhile. And for some services, you’ll need a diagnostic call or two to decide who gets past the rope.

In my own business, I find clients are not ready to discuss copy until they’ve gone through two previous stages – strategy and message -- and I can offer help to get there. Click here to learn more.

I welcome almost anyone for a Website Review, but I won’t write or coach copywriting before a client seems ready. I also favor clients who keep appointments faithfully, but that’s another story.

To overcome the temptation to offer your equivalent of, “I’ll drive you,” I recommend setting up an “Ideal Client” section on your website. To create this section, you need answers to three questions.

(1) Who is most likely to benefit from your service? (2) Who will not benefit? (3) What information do you need to tell the difference?

You’re helping the clients, too. When they’re feeling desperate for solutions, they’re not likely to screen carefully. The client who’s terrified of talking to strangers will sign up for your most aggressive networking program. The client who hasn’t exercised for years will join an intensive marathon training course.

You need to be the calm source of wisdom and wealth in the middle of their crisis.

P.S. Charging a fee for driving? Talk to a lawyer first. I’m no legal expert but I’d be concerned about insurance, liability and public utility codes.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?