Tuesday, August 08, 2006

 

Your internet resources: the "what I did" advising style


Recently I was chatting with "Brenda," a website owner who felt she'd been Burned by the Big Boys.

"I've spent thousands of dollars over the past few years," Brenda said. "Frankly, I didn't get even a dollar's worth of benefit."

She named a Really Big Boy.

"I signed up for his $3000 program," she said. "I asked him a question about one of my business challenges. He answered, 'This is what I would do.'

"But," Brenda continued,"we're different. He's a guy. He's been in business a lot longer and he's a lot more famous. And we're not in the same business at all."

Brenda experienced what I call the "here's what I did" style of coaching. I've run into this myself -- over and over again.

My favorite:

"I started my business by inviting my former colleagues to a home-cooked breakfast."

Believe me, if I cooked breakfast, we would have follow-up meetings in the Emergency Room. And often our former colleagues write us off as "gone nuts." Mine sure did.

A while back I got so frustrated with hiring mentors I wrote a Special Report:
Download and save.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?