Friday, September 08, 2006

 

Information First -- then the Copy


I've been struggling to create my business card. This time I want to have a lot of text with "pull" questions. So I drafted help in the form of a designer.

It's turning out to be difficult to cram all my information on to a tiny card. The first go-round led to a card with print so tiny I couldn't read it. I showed it to an acquaintance who said, "Let me play with this! No strings attached!"

To my amazement, the acquaintance proceeded to make major changes in my copy and graphics. Dollar signs sprouted all over the card. My slogan became "Transform your writing..." which suggests I might be an editor or writing coach (which I can be on occasion, but not here). And my invitation to a 15-minute chat about "getting better results from your marketing materials" became "a FREE money-making call." Needless to say, I don't want to emphasize FREE and we won't be making money on the first call -- just chatting a few minutes to see if you want to hire me for a Review.

Another time a well-meaning designer sent me a whole layout for my website, complete with an iconic desk, books and old-fashioned lamp. I have no idea why she did this -- she just came to my site and wrote, "You need a new design - here's my idea."

Both times I felt ... well, violated.

It's a common mistake. Many copywriters actually jump in and start writing -- especially if you hire a bargain basement copywriter. I spend lots of time understanding my clients, delving into their website, googling them (if applicable) and mostly going through my proprietary long questionnaire.

Well-meaning advice from strangers works the same way.

"Why don't you get some high-heeled shoes to wear with that..."
"Have you tried working with real estate agents..."

Worse, these folks often argue with my answers! No research - but assumptions trump knowledge every time, over and over.

Bottom Line: Some well-meaning bystanders ought to come with a warning label.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?