Wednesday, September 06, 2006

 

Networking Tips Nobody Tells You




After moving to Seattle, I discovered some hidden networking guidelines I've never seen elsewhere. In keeping with my usual irreverent approach to just about anything, I've put together a few ideas.

(1) Keep under the radar screen when you move to a new locale.

Every city and every region has unwritten rules about how to dress, act and respond to questions. It takes awhile to learn those guidelines...not to mention time to find a hair stylist and learn the freeways and transportation system. As a newbie, stay out of the spotlight for awhile.

(2) Ask questions and take cards but don't initiate business relationships until you've worked with a group at least three months.

I needed some services so I set up a few introductory meetings with business owners I met at a networking function. Unfortunately, most of them turned out to be unsuitable for what I needed (nothing wrong with them, just not a good match). And I still see them...over and over again.

(3) Describe your business in one simple sentence that's easy to understand.

"Strategic copywriting" is what I do...and I can explain when I have a whole website to play with.
But for networking, I am either a writer or (more frequently these days) creator of the Bragging101 program:
how to brag about yourself professionally for business and career results.

I'm teaching a Bragging101 workshop at DiscoverU in Seattle on Wednesday, December 6th. Be sure to let
me know if you are in town and would like to attend. I'm working on the Details page...


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?