Saturday, September 02, 2006

 

Why networking organizations lose members before they join




Recently I've been making the rounds of networking groups. While some seem really valuable (and most are fun), I find myself thinking, "These organizations need lessons in networking too."

Organization 1: When attending I identified myself as a first-time member, which meant I got a nametag with a small gold star. That was okay, but I was then directed to a small circle of chairs in a corner of the room. We first-timers were required to listen to a talk by a perky Membership Chair.

We didn't learn anything valuable. In fact, we didn't learn some key facts, such as, "You may attend our group just twice as a guest." Nor did we learn dues and requirements.

"Any questions?" asked the leader. We shook our heads. We came for networking and we wanted to get out there and mingle.

Ironically, the group was very good and I was impressed with my tablemates at a lunch. I may even join the organization. But my initial reaction was, major turnoff.

Organization 2: This group conducts membership drives and rewards members who bring guests, especially guests who become members. They have a pretty hefty annual fee plus monthly attendance costs.

After attending two meetings, I was ready to sign up. The organization, however, requires references. I had to reach my references and get permission to use their names. So I couldn't sign up. But I was gung-ho.

Like many groups, this one has a rule. Attend twice and then apply. But once you apply, you can't attend any meetings until you apply *and* get accepted.

I sent in my membership just before Labor Day weekend. The membership chair called to say, "It will be at least three weeks before we get back to you. Our committee won't be meeting and we all need to review your application and call your references."

Meeting? Gimme a break. Why not just hold a teleconference and give me a quick yes/no?

I was surprised how deflated I felt. I will probably call that group and withdraw my membership application. If they really want members they need to get their act together.

Organization 3: When I moved to Seattle, someone recommended joining a Toastmasters group.

"You must be kidding," I said. "I'm an experienced speaker." All the ads for these groups say, "Afraid of speaking? Come join our group."

But to my surprise, Seattle chapters attract experienced speakers, including professional media announcers, community actors and professional trainers.

So why do the ads all focus on fear of speaking? Why not focus on the benefits of Toastmasters for experienced speakers? Even the scared newcomers will be pleased because they'll get first-rate role models.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?