Monday, October 23, 2006

 

Don't swipe this one...


Copywriters maintain swipe files. When I begin to write a new piece of copy, that's the first thing I do: go over copy written by folks I admire.

But as I write more copy I become more sensitive to anti-swipe. For example, I saw an ad for a dental insurance plan on the side of a bus: "Plans just for you. Because you're special."

Well, even the best dental insurance company will offer a limited range of plans. And what does it mean to say I'm "special?"

"Special" is one of those empty words.

Better to have a slogan that reaches my pain...in fact, the double pain of dental work and dental bills. Being able to choose my own dentist will help with the first and getting reimbursed promptly will help with the second.

So..just come right out and say so.


Cathy Goodwin, Ph.D. offers strategic copywriting and communications consulting for small biz owners and solo professionals who want to sell themselves without sounding sales-y. Ask about her three-step Strategy-->Message-->Copy system. Begin with a visit to the Copy-Cat website.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?