Sunday, October 15, 2006

 

Sharing Your Pain



Let's say you're going through some tough times. Your relationship is starting to crack and a break-up may be imminent. A relative or close friend has been diagnosed with a serious illness. Your dog dies.

So...what do you share with your ezine readers?

After all, you could say, maybe they want to help. Every time I write about my dog I get all sorts of advice from my readers.

And sometimes you may be able to reach out to others. If you're well-known with a huge mailing list, maybe you can remind your readers to get check-ups. You communicate a message, "Hey, you are not alone. I'm dealing with illness -- nobody's immune."

It's a judgment call.

(1) Some of your readers will be brand-new to your list. They may feel more like business associates than friends.

(2) Some readers will relate to your experiences and appreciate the story.

(3) All readers will wonder: What should I do? Should I send expressions of concern? Hire you for assignments with deadlines?
Send flowers?

(4) If you expect a disruption in service, advise readers what you've arranged.

(5) Be prepared for any and all reactions.

When my wonderful dog Keesha died, I felt I had to comment. She had been featured on my website and readers would worry if I let a few weeks go by without mentioning her.

Still, some readers made it clear they didn't care. They weren't especially fond of dogs or they hadn't gotten to know Keesha.
They had a point.

Feel free to comment by clicking on the link that refers to number of comments and you'll be able to add your own thoughts. I delete comments that are obviously spam, deliberately offensive and/or not related directly to the topic.



Cathy Goodwin, Ph.D. offers strategic copywriting and communications consulting for small biz owners and solo professionals who want to sell themselves without sounding sales-y. Ask about her three-step Strategy-->Message-->Copy system. Begin with a visit to the Copy-Cat website.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?