Sunday, November 26, 2006

 

Copywriting for writing a newsletter




Q. My professional organization wants to send out a quarterly ezine and I’ve been asked to be editor. Yawn! Who reads these things?

A. That’s what I thought when I got asked to edit a newsletter for the very first time. My group consisted of consumer psychology professors and marketing managers.

“Just one thing,” I said to the group’s president. “Can I have a humor column?”

“You can have anything. We’ve had 3 editors in one year. We’re desperate.”

Six years later, I looked back on this experience as one of the most fun and most rewarding of my career. Ultimately a newsletter carriers the Bragging101 principles an extra step. You’re creating a vehicle for members to brag about themselves and each other.

Since then I’ve written newsletters and newsletter columns for others, including a neighborhood association and a gym. And I learned some tips and tricks along the way.

(1) Increase readership and membership loyalty by interviewing your members.

Don’t bother with the superstars (okay, maybe a couple to set the stage). Ordinary folks have to be coaxed into an interview, but once they’re featured, they’re loyal for life.

While living in New Mexico, I wrote a newsletter for the gym where I worked out. Nobody wanted to be interviewed but they always ended up asking for extra copies to take home. “Your name in print” still carries power even in a jaded society.

(2) Get edgy.

My humor column may not have done much for my academic career, but I honed my writing skills and got a lot of attention for t the group and the paper. We had a satiric view of academic life, featuring our brave heroine, Maybelle Marketing; her cat Fluffy whose claws were registered as lethal weapons; hints at links to the Mob; crimes and clashes...well you get the idea.

Seems a little tame these days, but I can refer you to some past columns if you are interested. You have to be more careful with a commercial enterprise but let’s face it: everybody likes to smile.

(3) Double your effectiveness by assigning interviews.

With a large group, you can invite members to interview one another.

Why would they bother? Our junior members wanted an opportunity to make connections. Senior “stars” felt more comfortable when interviewed by junior members.

I was a little surprised when a couple of “stars” in our group asked to interview other stars, but hey -- I never turn down offers of help.

(4) Offer recognition and awards.

Honor every member’s achievement you can find. People like to belong to groups of achievers so you’re helping everyone.

The gym newsletter was easy. Someone was always winning a race or getting elected Miss Something of New Mexico. Birthdays, new cars, new dogs and houses...readers love this stuff.

(5) Use your newsletter for networking.

Everybody knows the newsletter editor and everybody wants to talk to you. After a surprisingly short time, you realize you’re not spending huge amounts of time and you’re getting known faster than if you attended twenty-two networking luncheons.

Need help with your own? Ask me about a one-time consultation and we’ll have your newsletter launched in no time.

No need to be dull! As you brag about others, you display your own skills in a low-key, creative way.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?