Friday, November 17, 2006

 

Copywriting means responding to 3 levels of pain


One of the first things a copywriter learns is, "Go for the pain." Good advice. And actually clients come with three levels of pain.

(1) Client at the Crossroads: Why now?

Clients rarely consider hiring a resource (or buying an information product) unless they're at some kind of a crossroads. Psychological research tells us that people don't change until they experience a defining moment. They often use the classic example of alcoholics who hit bottom.

So I get calls when a business owner says, "I don't have time to make sales calls and I need more sales -- soon. How can I make money when I sleep?"

Or Hal calls an accountant when he needs cash flow to finance an essential purchase. Mary starts looking for an organizer when she realizes she's buried her appointment book somewhere under a mountain of paper, just below a box of last year's holiday cookies.

(2) Client Feeling Emotion: Where does it hurt?

This is what most people think of when they identify their target market's pain.

Often needs can be related to the basics: finances, health, love, social status and time.  You can dig deeper. What will happen if you don't increase sales? What will you enjoy if you save time?

Here's where it's easy to confuse "our process" with "their pain." For example, I recently talked to a consultant who wanted to help  women achieve vision and purpose. But, I would ask, how do their lives feel without vision and purpose? What will be different afterward?

(3) Client Chooses Resource: Can you be trusted?

My clients worry, "Will my website make me sound like I'm selling used cars?"

An interior decorator may seem like a fairly benign presence. But her prospects are probably wondering, "What will she think of my home? And will she paint the walls pink with purple polka dots?"

Dentists have become fairly savvy about anticipating the number one question: "Is this going to hurt?" And I've seen billboards for medical clinics promising, "You won't wait more than ten minutes."

Bottom Line: "Go for the pain" is the best advice you can get when creating a marketing message. Recognizing all 3 levels will help you reach your own clients and, in the process, reduce your own marketing pain.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?