Wednesday, December 27, 2006

 

[Copywriting Tips] Generating Copy?


Q. I just saw a pitch for a content generator to create copy for my website. I don't like this idea because I believe my website should be written in my own authentic voice. Don't you agree?

A. Well, yes and no. There's something called a headline generator that many copywriters use to create headlines. You have to feed the software good ideas but I've been surprised at the quality of output.

I also get clients who are concerned that, if I write their copy, their sites won't sound like them. Sometimes you want to write with your own voice, but for home pages and sales letters, it's not necessary. Standard style and standard phrases actually are more effective. A good copywriter will sound authentic rather than sales-y.

That said, I'd want to know more. Frankly, I'd rather see someone use a content generator than go to a discount site (such as Elance or RentaCoder) and hire a $20-$35-an-hour writer. Those writers sometimes are very good, but sometimes they plagiarize. You have to be very careful.

It is a problem because hiring a good writer is very expensive. If you're on a budget you'd do better to get some coaching and learn how to do it yourself.


To reprint this post, please be sure to make no changes and include this resource box with live links:
Cathy Goodwin, Ph.D., coaches and writes copy for service professionals who want to increase the marketing potential of their websites to attract clients and increase revenue. Website:
http://www.copy-cat-copywriting.com
Free Report: 7 Best-Kept Secrets of Client Attracting Copy.
http://www.makewritingpay.com/subscribe.html

Labels: , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?