Friday, December 01, 2006

 

Need a web host...


I saw yet another posting on a mailing list I receive.
"Desperately seeking low cost web host."

I was polite and cautious when responding. But here's what
I'd want to say:

(1) I'd suggest avoiding words like "desperate" when making
a public post...unless it's a fun post, like a dog care
humorous post. For business I recommend presenting a calm,
confident image even for postings.

(2) What do you mean by low-cost?
I would stay away from free hosts and bundle offers, i.e.,
an offer that combines hosting with website maintenance,
shopping carts, etc. And I would absolutely insist on 24/7
maintenance.

(3) I can recommend web hosts and so can others. The quality
of these hosts can change overnight. I'd pay attention only
to comments from someone who's used a host for 2 years or more.

(4) You can also search the Internet to find ratings of websites.

(5) You should expect to pay $5-10 per month for a single domain hosting -- $15-25 for more frills.

The differences tend to be small - $100 a year or less. If you're so tight on cash flow that the $100 makes a difference, get a job.

Anyway, I can't resist commenting: without good copy, you might as well not have a website!

If you liked this post, you'll probably love my weekly ezine.
Sign up here.





Cathy Goodwin

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?