Saturday, February 17, 2007

 

Getting a New Client on Board


How to become a client.

More prospects call simply because you’re better known. Some are serious; others are tire-kickers.

Consultants and coaches often offer complimentary get-acquainted calls.

Okay, I’m going to be edgy here. I have never found those calls helpful when I’m the client. The whole dynamic changes when money changes hands. Moving from comp to paid, I’ve often felt I was talking to a whole new consultant.

So as you get busy, I recommend offering a paid sample of your work. For copywriting, it’s a diagnostic project. For consultant, I offer hourly calls. My clients can deduct the cost of the initial call if they move on to a bigger project.

I work only with serious clients and I can begin delivering value from the very first moment of our call. We both win if we solve the client’s problem in a single hour.

If you offer any no-charge option, I recommend setting up a task to be completed before the call: a series of questions, a mini-project – anything to show your client is serious.

Design and writing professionals need to create some small projects so a client can test them before committing big bucks.

Many readers will disagree but I believe free tasting sessions should be reserved for the supermarket aisles.

I’m the worst: when Gracie (the dog) and I visit our favorite bakery, I’ve been known to buy a cup of soup and take home a handful of bite-sized samples for dessert.

I'm sure many readers will disagree - and I welcome controversy! Post a comment below.

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?