Monday, April 02, 2007

 

Copywriting by the Numbers


When I began copywriting for my own website, I found myself resisting the “ten tips” and “five steps” formulas.

“Come on!” I said. “I cannot condense a major process into 10 simple steps, let alone 5.”

But the Goodwin motto is, “I’ll try anything once…okay, twice.” So I began writing articles with “10 ways to…” My sales letters began to promise “5 essential ways to…”

To my amazement, readers responded positively. They came. They saw. And (most important) they bought.

“Why does this method work?” I wondered. “It’s a formula. And how do I know that I’ve really identified the 5 most critical rules of copywriting or the 7 secrets of attracting clients?”

So I studied the way I respond to copy myself. I talked to my readers. And I came up with (you knew this was coming) 3 most important reasons to use numbers in your copy.

Reason #1: Numbers add credibility to your promise.

You promised 3 ideas. You delivered 3 ideas. If you delivered a few bonus ideas, readers feel rewarded.


Reason #2: Numbers create concrete images.

Readers can get their minds around 3 ideas or 3 secrets. But “some common ways to learn…” Boh-ring!

That’s why copywriters often add a touch of sizzle to the steak. “5 reasons most job searches fail (and why yours will succeed)”

Occasionally you’ll find yourself writing for an audience that demands accuracy. You may even be concerned about legal challenges.

For instance, you may not want to refer to the “5 best ways to avoid accidents when driving during cold winter months.” But you may be able to say, “5 tips that have kept me free of accidents through 10 years of driving through winters in Alaska.” Or you might feel comfortable with, “5 common mistakes most drivers make when driving on snow.”

Of course, if you’re concerned about liability, talk to a lawyer.
Just remember: the more you can paint word pictures, the more your audience will listen and remember you.

Reason #3: Numbers help you write more effective articles, sales letters and ebooks.

Often as I begin writing an article, I pick a number: 3, 5, 7 of 10. Then I’ll challenge myself to come up with the number of points I need.

Over and over, I find the most creative and original ideas come when I’m approaching the end of the list. Sure, it’s a stretch to come up with just one more topic.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?