Thursday, April 12, 2007

 

Copywriting in Context

Recently I bought an information product related to copywriting. It wasn't the most expensive around, but not the cheapest -- in the mid-3-figure range.

It wasn't a bad product. I picked up a few new takeaways. Nothing that changed my way of viewing the world, but not totally useless.

The product consists of 13 disks and a manual, recorded and produced at a live semianr. The manual doesn't have information: it's just a binder with a few words on each page, suitable for note-taking. One whole disk consists of participants from the live event expressing "what I got out of the course." On another disk, the producer left the mike open while participants

I'm sending the product back to the producer.

Why? Because I have too many points of comparison.

I bought other products that delivered far more value for less cost. For example, Jim Edwards sells a huge ebook for less than $100 -- more like $49.
His article marketing book would be a great value at twice the price.

I've also purchased and studied numerous other copywriting books - including books from the library, available at no cost. The world's knowledge base has changed since this seminar was first held and the product was created.

It's a tough fact of website marketing these days. Visitors don't arrive in a vacuum and they certainly don't read in a vacuum. They have context.

So I think the product I bought wasn't bad. The price just needs to come down to create value today.

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?