Sunday, April 08, 2007

 

Copywriting Recipes For Delicious Results


Copywriting sounds so creative. But in reality, copywriters use tools and techniques. And yes...they copy, but never cross the line into plagiarism.

If you’re reading this article, chances are you’re one of those people who resisted coloring inside the lines. You aren’t crazy about rules.

Your least favorite word is “cubicle.”

I certainly fit that profile.

So when I studied copywriting, I was horrified to discover the power of using well-tested phrases. Reluctantly, I bought a copy of Words that Sell by Richard Bayan.

And my writing has never been the same since. Certain phrases and headlines really do attract buyers.

But I’ve also discovered you can’t follow the rules blindly. Before writing copy, you have to ask, “Who am I trying to reach? What is my target market’s pain? What benefit will be delivered?”

It’s easy to tell when someone’s following a formula rather than thoughtfully applying a well-tested phrase. Here are 2 examples, details disguised as usual:

Rule-follower #1: “Give me an hour and I will give you a teleclass.”

Huh? A teleclass? Dare we ask, “So what?”

Better: “Give me an hour and I will give you 3 ideas that will help you triple your client base.”

Or “Give me an hour and take the first step to a job where you actually look forward to Monday morning.”

Rule-follower #2: “Come to my workshop and you’ll lealvle feeling energized and focused. And that’s not all! You’ll also discover how to take your life to the next level and get more confidence…”

This writer read the book. “And that’s not all!” can be a great transitional phrase.

But adding a power phrase won’t save a long list of abstract promises. Strong copywriting means painting word pictures.

Better: “When you attend this seminar, you will discover three easy techniques to get re-energized at the end of a busy day. You’ll get access to four networking techniques to help you reach the exact resource you need to reach your goals. And that’s not all: you get access to a unique system to build confidence from the inside out, even after you’ve just experienced a major setback.”

The bottom line: Formulas are like recipes.

In the hands of a master chef, a recipe can become a work of art. In the hands of a non-cook like me – someone who considers boiling a potato a major cooking project – the cliché “recipe for disaster” takes on new meaning.

Labels: , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?