Thursday, April 26, 2007

 

Networking: Not just about contacts


Recently I saw a post from a Big Name guru, criticizing networking. You drive several hours. You pay a fee. If you value your time at $100 an hour, you need to get at least $300 worth of business from each event. And so on.

To be honest, I tend to agree.

But I would also add: Networking can have benefits beyond just meeting clients.

If you're new in town, you'll get names of resources you need -- real estate agents, accountants, and more. I wouldn't choose a resource that I met at one of those events for hungry people, such as leads groups, solely on the basis of an introduction. I would ask around. Sometimes those folks are great. Sometimes they're just hungry.

For example, I hate having my picture taken. (Can you tell when you look at my photos?) I need a relaxed, spontaneous pose. I met a photographer at a networking event who said, "I don't do portraits - but why don't you call an art institute? Some of those students are hungry and they're good, too." Great idea. I'd never have come up with that one on my own.

You get to try out ideas for a fraction of the cost of hiring a coach. I found that listening to my target market has been more valuable than conferring with expensive marketing coaches. They told me, "We like the sleepy-cat logo on your card and your website." They told me, "We relate to the Bragging101 teleclass."

After several meetings where I became extremely frustrated trying to explain what I do, I came up with 3 versions of an elevator speech that work.

Version 1 (general networks and biz owners): I help service professionals transform websites from Internet Presence to Internet Profit Center.

Version 2 (Direct Marketing Association): I am like a full-service boutique agency for service professionals who market through websites. I do content strategy and have resources for a complete package.

Version 3 (when I have more time): Here's an example of what I do. I wrote copy for a client who had a consulting business. After we revised her website, she began getting clients who signed up for her paid trial consultations during the first telephone consultation. "We felt like we know you," they said.

And finally I discovered the speaking topic I had designed (with an overpriced marketing coach), "Transform your website from couch potato to hard-working marketing partner," was far less effective than a simple, "How to increase the marketing potential of your website." I'll be experimenting with "Transform your website from Internet Presence to Internet Profit Center."

I also learned that Bragging101 will get me on a speaking platform. But clients come from my talk on marketing websites. So I'm creating a product for Bragging101 but it doesn't seem to translate into copywriting.
d

Labels: , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?