Wednesday, April 25, 2007

 

To network or not to network...


"Networking for business?" Sounds obvious, but is it?

A few marketing gurus really push networking. Some even recommend very specific networking groups, such as BNI (Business Networking International), a leads group with tight structure and requirements.

And a few gurus actually discourage networking. You spend at least 3 hours on a single meeting, they say. You pay for the event. You might make contact with a dozen people. For the cost of a year of networking, you would reach a far greater audience through post card marketing and Internet teleclasses.

Most gurus fall in between.

What I'm finding is that "networking" isn't an on-off decision. It's not a toggle switch: "Yes I should" or "No I shouldn't."

Instead, I recommend identifying your unique profile and comparing your profile to what's available in the way of networking in your area.

Your Profile

As a copywriter and content strategist, I find I can't explain what I do in 30 seconds or less - the "one-breath" introductions that are becoming so popular. I need to gain access to speaking engagements. A live speaking engagement can be a very powerful platform for me.

When I talk to other copywriters, I find they share my experience. One said, "After 8 months in a BNI group, the other members still didn't 'get' what I did."

Meanwhile, everyone knows what a tax preparer or real estage agent does. Their challenge is to build trust and differentiate themselves. But they've passed the first hurdle.

The Organization's Profile

Who comes to organization meetings? Are they decision-makers with the power to hire you? Are they small business owners struggling even harder than you are?

In some groups, I can say, "Here's what I do. I build my business through speaking engagements." At one lunch, a woman seated at my table said, "My group really needs a speaker!" We exchanged cards. I spoke to the group, which brought me some sign-ups for my ezine and a live, paying client.

But when I considered joining a BNI group, the experienced members warned, "Most of these people don't belong to professional groups. Those who do belong have no idea they can approach a program chair and make suggestions."

Clearly that was not a good group for me.

One business owner supplies a very specific need: she offers virtual assistant services to real estate agents exclusively. If she joins a group that understands the notion of "virtual assistant," she's way ahead of the game.

Geography

One business owner told me about a particular networking group she had joined on the East Coast. Her group had lawyers, accountants and even copywriters. OK, everyone has memory lapses. But let's assume she told the truth.

The same group in Seattle tends to attract Mary Kay salespeople, real estate agents and chiropractors.

This business owner claims she added several clients during her first 6 months. Here in Seattle, organizational members warn, "You'll need to think of membership as a long term investment...at least a year, maybe more."

A coach in Los Angeles tells me he merely whispered, "I'm available for speaking." He was swamped with offers from Chambers of Commerce, industry groups and more. Here in Seattle, speaking engagements are much harder to come by. Seattle attracts smart people and solo-preneurs, many of whom seek the same audiences.

So when clients ask, "Should I network?" the answer isn't yes or no. It's the usual honest answer: "It depends."

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?