Thursday, May 31, 2007

 

Networking Choices


Recently a marketing consultant told me, "When clients need income right away, I suggest they go out and network. You don't get the big bucks but you do get some income."

That's a very good distinction. At the networking events I've attended in Seattle, participants tend to offer craigslist type prices. Copywriters charge $75-$85 an hour (and they work by the hour, not the project).

Some people just won't benefit from this kind of 30-second-intro networking. I considered joining a leads group -- the famous BNI -- until they told me, "It will take several months for us to understand what you do."

Let's see...at $370 a a year for membership, plus $48 a month for lunch, that's $658 up front with no guarantees. No thanks!

Recently someone I met at a networking event asked if we could meet for coffee to discuss her website. I said coffee would be great. And I'd love to discuss anyone's website, if they sign up for my copy diagnostic service.

I doubt I'll hear from her again.

What are your experiences? Please share them in the "Comments" section.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?