Sunday, May 13, 2007

 

Testing 1-2-3...


Last week I attended a talk by Atul Gawande, New Yorker magazine columnist, surgeon and author of a new book, Better. (Seattle residents absolutely love book talks. I've seen a full crowd on Saturday night at Elliott Bay Bookstore…yep, I was there too. Must be our rain-drenched brains.)

During his surgical residency, Gawande began wondering, "Why do some medical centers gain enormously better results than others?" For example, the average life expectancy for a cystic fibrosis patient can vary from 33 to 47 years, depending on place of treatment.

Okay, here's the punch line. The top centers measure results. They choose 1 or 2 key indicators. When a patient's progress seems stalled, they take action immediately.

So what's the relevance to content strategy?

For a long time, I've been listening to experts talk about the value of testing and measuring. I had trouble with the logistics. Just how do you set up a test? What do you test? And how do you do all this tracking, anyway?

It turns out my shopping cart offers fairly extensive (and easy) options for testing. I learned some techniques from Christina Hills, the shopping cart queen. http://tinyurl.com/348q2d

In particular, I finally learned an easy way to redirect visitors from those ugly long ad-tracking links. And I've decided to incorporate testing into future copywriting projects, for clients who have (or want to get) the shopping cart. To learn about Christina's ebook and services:


What got me motivated was a remark by someone who gratuitously offered advice. "You need images of your Reports," she said, "for the visual visitor."

Maybe. For a moment I was all set to call my designer and order up a few rounds of graphics. But I came to my senses. Adding images can actually reduce sales for some products and services.

Let's face it. Without testing, we're all at the mercy of casual experts who toss out a casual remark.

"Maybe you should raise prices." In some markets – yes. But some marketers have earned hundreds of thousands of dollars by selling low priced info products, $10 - $20 at a time.

So now I'm on a testing frenzy. And I've made a new vow: Never again will I listen to anyone who offers a marketing opinion without adding a caveat, "But you need to test."

Unscientific, experienced based principle: The more arrogantly someone ventures an opinion, the more you need to test.

For example, I was invited to give a talk at a local venue, but needed a catchy title and topic. My title couldn't mention websites, copy or the Internet. I came up with "Bragging 101: How to toot your own horn and still sound professional." I'll be offering this talk again in June, here in Seattle.

Some folks urged me to buy the domain name (I did) and even make Bragging101 the focal point of my work. After all, both career changers and business people need to brag, don't they?

But I've also given talks with a title like, "Increasing the Marketing Potential of Your Website." Less edgy – but the audience responds with even more enthusiasm -- and a greater sense of what I can do for professionals who want to put their websites to work.

So it's back to the drawing board to test topics. Next test: What do prospects really think of the sleepy cat logo?

Meanwhile, surveys still make a difference. And thanks in

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?