Thursday, June 28, 2007

 

Brand-New and Getting Started on The Internet


Here's a question that just came through my email recently. I'm getting low on questions, so please send me a message with your Number One challenge related to copywriting and/or website marketing.

Q: I'm just getting started on the Internet. I have a domain name and an idea. What's next?

A: You're very smart to ask this question. Many people would begin by hiring a web designer. Being biased, I used to say, "Start with a strategically oriented copywriter who's been trained to write for the Internet."But now I believe you should begin with a keyword search. You may hire someone to help or attend some teleseminars. Or yoHere's a question that just came through my email recently. I'm getting low on questions, so please send me a message with your Number One challenge related to copywriting and/or website marketing.

Q: I'm just getting started on the Internet. I have a domain name and an idea. What's next?

A: You're very smart to ask this question. Many people would begin by hiring a web designer. Being biased, I used to say, "Start with a strategically oriented copywriter who's been trained to write for the Internet." u may buy manuals and/or borrow library books. But I feel more strongly about this step with every passing day.

I must admit I fell asleep the first time I heard a talk about searching, research and keywords. But it's like sifting through forensic evidence in a murder case. You start to see patterns and clues. Now I'm addicted.

Go to wordtracker.com. Sign up for 1 week (or more, if you think you're going to get hooked...like I did). Begin to explore keywords related to your topic. Your mission is to find keywords with high demand but relatively low supply.

If you opt for the paid version, Wordtracker takes you painlessly from keyword selection to a page where you get to see each keyword's level of supply and demand. Now you know where you stand.

Internet marketers interpret the numbers differently. Some say they want 10,000 or fewer competitors. Others look at Wordtracker's KEI score, which captures the supply-demand ratio in an arcane formula. Still others say, "My marketing and copy skills are so good, I'll dive into the most competitive pond."

Or suppose you find that every meaningful keyword has over 100,000 competitors...maybe even millions. You may still do well, but you face an uphill battle. You may be able to get creative and find a combination of words where you'll face little competition but high demand. Or you may say, I've seen people succeed with these approaches - you just have to know yourself.

Once you've identified keywords, you need to test how they fit your message and your market, most likely with google adwords. You might revise your domain name or set up some redirects. Your copy will incorporate keywords. Each of these steps would be another article.

If you would like a straightforward, detailed explanation of the process, and you're serious about an Internet-based business, I highly recommend investing in Perry Marshall's google adwords manual. You'll not only move faster: you'll have a foolproof way to screen anybody you consider hiring as a guru. If they don't understand this process, they'll lead you down the garden path. Guaranteed.

You can begin with his no-cost 5-day ecourse: Click here.

And then get a shopping cart to test and compare web pages. I recommend trying out this cart before considering alternatives. Click here.

My ebook on choosing a mentor:
Choose a Mentor Without Killing Your Bank Account.

Labels: , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?