Tuesday, July 10, 2007

 

Getting to know the client



When I begin a copywriting or strategy consultation, my first question is, "What is your client's pain --physical and/or psychological?"

Many of my clients don't know. They'll say something like, "I want my clients to make more money." Or, "I want my clients to realize their greatest obstacles come from something they can control."

So practice writing statements like, "My clients are in pain because they're afraid of going bankrupt. They're terrified of becoming homeless...and their fears are realistic."

Or, "My clients feel stuck as they try to reach their goals. They've tried half a dozen different consultants and they still feel they're at Square One."

You could try writing first person statements, as if you were the client: "I'm afraid my dog will jump on a stranger and knock her over. I'll have one less friend and one more lawyer in my life."

Or you could imagine your client more three-dimensionally. Where does he go on vacation? What would she rather be doing if she had more time, money, health and/or energy?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?