Tuesday, September 11, 2007

 

The No-Yawn Guide to Features and Benefits


Was that a yawn I just heard? Yesterday I was helping Lorrie Morgan-Ferrero with her Bootcamp talk -- and that was the topic.

Oh no...I've heard this stuff over and over...

But as I got deeper into the issues, I realized that we can all use a refresher. I just looked at some of my own ebook copy and realized - "Oh no! I forgot the benefit in the headline! Back to the drawing board."

So here are 3 tips:

(1) Features for a service business can be experience or credentials.

For example, let's say you've been in the Marine Corps and you are now a marketing coach. For some target markets, your "about" page headline could read: "How a tough ex-marine can help your start-up business destroy the competition"

That's an extreme example, but you get the idea. I had to make up a story where I have no real clients!

(2) Bob Bly is a famous copywriter and best-selling author. In one article, he says that sometimes you need to sell on features alone. For example, say someone is an expert on cars. They want to know cylinders and RPMs. They'll toss away emotional benefits as pure hype.

(3) If you are writing an information product, create features and benefits first. Or if you're the type who writes, go back and write the features and benefits after the first draft. Don't commit till you've got the sales letter.

You probably have the features and benefits already included - just need some highlights and headlines.

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?